Tuesday 14 June 2011

Another Golden Oldie.

Having just had a poke about in my mail folders, I found these gems from Sam & Omar, which they sent to me a few years ago when Sam & Karen were down-under for a visit..........

"These are some of the photies taken by the newspaper guy, but unfortunately not used.. This is Karen's fish, needed all of us to hold it,100 lbs and a meter and a half long, no wonder it made her speechless. The other 2 guys in the photo are Al and Gary, skipper and crew. Sam looks pleased, and I am pleased not to be overboard, thanks to Karen for hauling me in!!! Pull your bloody arms off as they said, they were right.
Off on the houseboat again tomorrow for a couple of days of much gentler fishing. Love to all Omar."
Bit of  a tug Karen? lol
Smiles all round.
Or screams!
Sams mail to me was similar lol - but check the numbers!!
"Well today we have got up and are backs, arms, legs,hands and knees feel completely shot to bits. Went out on a boat yeserday and the skipper told us that the fight is similar to someone putting there foot in your arm pit and trying to pull your arm out of its socket - we laughed at the time and he said you wont have smiles on your faces in 2 hours time we laughed again which he didnt find amusing. He got his revenge when I stepped up and after getting my harness together dropped my line to 100mtrs and within 2 minutes was almost pulled overboard, however after 2 minutes of sreaming action my fish was taken ...we think by a shark.- the fish would have been approx 20 kilos so I dread to think of the size of the shark.. All the fish in the photo are would you believe it......Samson Fish!!!!!!!!!
Total catch of the day was 43 weighing approx 1000 kilos!!!!! Ripping stuff. Karen had the fish of the day , approx 50kilos and 1.5m in length. All apart from 1 was tagged and released alive and well, Recovery day today, taking it very easy.
Will send another report of our next sortie due to take place as soon as we are capable of holding a rod and line.
Hope you are all well and wish you were ere!!!!  Sam"
Shell-shocked by Samson.
Sam losing the plot - deckhands seen it all before......
Happy & tired at a guess.
Now thats what I call a gut busting session!
A big thanks to Sam & Omar for letting me use their pics!
For those interested in The Samson (Seriola hippos) - a member of the Jack family, more can be found here:
Omar can be contacted here:

No comments:

Post a Comment